Thursday 20 March 2014

Artist Statement

Artist Statement


This project is an exploration of how the people around us influence what we become or how we act based on the nicknames they give us and the connotations connected to those nicknames. For this Project I am redesigning myself to look like the characters of the nicknames that I have been given. I will create these characters through special effects makeup. The characters that I have been given as nicknames are the following.
I have been called a Krogan when I get mad and argue with people, this nickname was given to me by my boyfriend: The Krogan is an alien species from the "Mass Effect " game universe, this species is very aggressive and the phrase that shall be used was chosen by my boyfriend " Krogans dont listen to the opinions of others, they just crush anyone who has one"
My friend calls me Ivy this is because of a conversation we had one day and our futures, I told her that if I fail as an artist that I would become an eco terrorist like Poison Ivy, and from then on that is what she has called me, the phrase my friend has chosen is  "."
I was called Reptile in Highschoool because of my knoweledge in reptiles and because I was a member of the earth active committee and because of this I recieved the slippery serpent award and the subtitle shall be the phrase for Reptile "Most likely to be bitten by a snake, many times over".
When I worked at the game store known as PVP, one of the people there called me Chewbacca because of all the long hair, so for this character I want to be quite still and the phrase shall be the sound that Chewbacca makes "brrrrrrggggggghhh"
Then for the Nickname Sims it will just be me as i am smiling, and my phrase will be simple "this is me".
The Nickname Firefly is from a gaming character of mine that is a pixie and who's sole purpose is to annoy the other gamers for fun, so the phrase for this character shall be in an annoying voice as well " guess who stole your kill!!!!"
Then lastly my other gaming nickname is Silvaris this gaming avatar is a very serious elf but also friendly, for her phrase I shall say " hey all! hope you have a lovely day of gaming but if you are a noob please leave"

For this artwork I am showing videos of myself becoming these characters that have been imposed on me, the idea is to ask the question who are we really? If we are so heavily influenced by those around us in our own self design then what is the real us, what is made of my own design that hasn't been influenced by anyone else. I think that this will raise those questions with other peope who throughout there lives have had many nicknames and thus connotations placed on them. I find the concept of self design to be rather difficult in the sense that one cannot design the self without hte influence of others.

No comments:

Post a Comment